Child Visitation:California, Divorce, Dissolution, Child Custody, Visitation, Child Support, D A, Paternity, Reinstate Drivers License, Personal Injury

Premier Legal Documents

Summary Divorce
Legal Separation
Domestic Partnership
Spousal Support
Child Custody
Child Visitation
Child Support
Company Information

Child Visitation


Parents that separate will need to have a plan for deciding how they will share and divide their parenting responsibilities. This plan can be called a parenting plan, a time-share plan, or an agreement ("stipulation") regarding child custody and visitation. Any plan must be in writing and signed by both parents and a judge.                          

In California, either parent can have custody, or the parents can share custody. The judge makes the final decision but usually will approve the arrangement both parents agree upon. If the parents can't agree, the judge will make a decision at a court hearing. The judge will usually not make a decision about custody/visitation until after the parents have met with a mediator. 

If parents can't agree on custody/visitation on their own, the judge will have the parents meet with Family Court Services to see if an agreement can be reached with the help of a mediator.   

If mediation doesn't work, the judge will make a decision at a hearing. In some courts, the mediator will make a recommendation to the judge about custody/visitation orders. Ask the mediator how the process works in your local court. 

The judge may appoint an evaluator to recommend a parenting plan. A parent can also ask for an evaluation, but the request may not be granted. Parents may have to pay for an evaluation. 

The judge also may appoint lawyers for children in custody cases.  

The law says that judges must give custody according to what is best for the child. In most cases, judges give custody to one or both parents. But there are times when custody is given to a friend or relative.  

After a judge makes a custody/visitation order, one or both parents may want to change the order. If the parents can't agree on a change, one of the parents must file a motion with the court asking for a change. If you want to change your order, you and the other parent will probably have to meet with a mediator to talk about why you want the order to change. 

The issue of child custody can be modified until the time that the children have reached the age of eighteen, or, if the children are nineteen and still attending high school any time that there is a problem with the current custody orders if the circumstances warrant it.

Contact Information: Telephone  (310) 365-2800

Questions or problems regarding this web site should be directed to Premier Legal Documents.
Copyright 2007 Premier Legal Documents  All rights reserved.
Last modified: 05/10/07.
legal aid in southern California                                                                                                                                                                         site by JTGraphics

eXTReMe Tracker